Everyone loves to watch their favorite videos on YouTube.
While the ads may be annoying, if you experience pauses in videos, it can turn the experience sour for you.
In this article, we will share some of the reasons your YouTube keeps pausing and share some fixes that will stop this from happening.
Why Does YouTube Keep Pausing (15 Reasons & Fixes)
The reason YouTube keeps pausing is usually a faulty device or it could be an internal problem with YouTube itself.
There could be many more reasons for this issue, and we will talk about those below.
1. Faulty Headphones Or Headphone Jack
Check if your headphones are working correctly.
You may think that it’s your device or an internet issue, but the headphones can sometimes be the real culprits that we hardly ever think to check in connection with video-related problems.
Headphones that are defective or are loosely attached to your device (either laptops or mobiles) can pause the videos.
With a lot of people using AirPods, they come with a mechanism where if one of the AirPods is loose in your ear, it can pause your audio or video until you fit it back in your ear properly.
Many headphones nowadays also apply the same mechanism.
Fix: Change Headphones
To find out if the headphones are actually causing this problem, try changing your headphones and check to see if the problem persists.
Also, check if the headphones are attached properly.
Unplug the headphones, insert the jack again, and check if it works.
You can also try cleaning your headphone jack.
It is important to clean up the audio jack on your phone if your earphones are at fault.
You can do it yourself or hire someone to help you.
Even though you might be able to complete this task on your own, you are encouraged to use the help of a professional service facility to ensure the device is handled properly.
If you wish to wipe out your earphone jack on your own, use air pressure to sweep away any accumulated dirt or fuzz.
You may also use a moist cotton ball to thoroughly clean any dirt from your broken earphones plug.
2. You Have Enabled The “Remind Me To Take A Break” Option
Check if you have turned on the “Remind me to take a break” option.
This special feature is available on YouTube that pauses the screen when you use the app after a specific amount of time has passed.
The feature is useful when you want to take a break from the screen.
Fix: Disable The Feature
Disabling the feature is the solution to this problem.
Follow these steps to disable the “Remind me to take a break” feature on YouTube:
- Open the YouTube app on your device.
- Tap on the Profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Open Settings.
- Go to General.
- Disable the Remind me to take a break option.
3. Clear YouTube Cache
Your browser’s cache will build up over time if you run an application or use your browser nearly every day.
In the case of YouTube, you will notice that it constantly malfunctions and pauses when there is a cache issue.
Clean up the excess cache and you should be good to go.
Fix: Clear The App’s Archive
Follow the steps below to clear the YouTube cache on the desktop:
- Go to your browser.
- Select the three-dot menu on the top right corner.
- Click More Tools from the drop-down.
- Select Clear browsing data.
- It will allow you to select a time duration you want the data to be deleted.
- Click Clear data.
If you are using an app on your android phone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Click on Apps.
- Find and open YouTube.
- Select Storage.
- Select Clear archive/cache.
Following these steps should solve the pausing problem for you.
Unfortunately, the only way for iPhone users to clear the cache is to uninstall the app and reinstall it, giving it a fresh start.
4. Poor Internet Connection
Another reason YouTube may be pausing is your Internet speed.
The speed may not be able to deliver the YouTube video to your system quickly enough.
Shut down any other open browser windows or applications using the Internet to maximize the network capacity to YouTube.
You can also use the settings button on the navigation bar to alter the streaming video resolution.
For example, if you are watching on 720p resolution, you can bring it down to 480p or 360p.
This will significantly reduce the image quality but allow you to keep watching the video.
You should also determine whether your existing data speeds are at par with the package you purchased from your internet service provider.
You can do a quick performance test on your network to check the speed.
Fix: Refresh PC, Reset Or Reboot Router
Try the following fixes if you have an internet problem:
- Move to another room: Try going to a room closer to your Wi-Fi device. This way, the device you are using will be able to better catch the signals.
- Refresh your PC: This is the most straightforward solution. Try restarting your device before moving to the following steps. This should resolve the internet issue.
- Buying and using an adaptor switch: Some PCs have an adaptor connector that makes the connection stable on your device. You must check if the wireless adaptor is on or off before expecting it to work.
- Router issues: Disconnect the broadband router, if applicable. Before turning it on, wait a few minutes.
- Reboot the router: Perform a router fast reboot. The caches will be cleaned in this manner, making it work better.
- Network hard reset: If the problem with your connection speeds or broadband connection errors persists, you may need to perform a network hard reset. All your preferences will be updated and reinstated because of this.
Use a connection checker and verify the speed of your wireless internet connection.
If the speed is slow, your internet is to blame.
However, if the issue still does not resolve, get a new internet connection that works better.
5. Too Many Advertisements By The Video Poster
It may be possible that your favorite content creator put too many ads on the video.
That can be frustrating for sure.
Advertisements on the videos can be annoying, and we agree that many YouTubers have taken full advantage of this opportunity.
It is understandable because ads generate revenue for these creators, but too many ads can also cause your YouTube video to pause and start buffering.
Fix: Use An Ad Blocker
Ad blockers can help you watch videos on YouTube for hours without any interruptions at all.
Google Chrome and other browsers offer ad blocking plug-ins and extensions.
Find the one that works best for you but be wary as some of these ad blockers may be bad for your PC as they are riddled with viruses.
6. Flawed Device
Your device could be the real problem if you cannot find any specific issues with anything else.
Sometimes, applications fail to work properly when your device faces technical or software issues.
It could also happen if your device is or has been secretly attacked by viruses or hackers.
Fix: Double-Check Your Device
Check your device for problems.
Reboot your device for temporary problems.
Clear running background applications to free the space a little.
If the problem is still there, take your device to a device repair technician and get your device thoroughly checked.
You can also try fixing any software or technical issues on your device as those could also be contributing to the real issue.
7. Less Or No Device Storage
Another reason YouTube video keeps pausing is that you have no storage left on your device.
Because your device is working with less storage, it keeps malfunctioning.
You are lacking storage because you have too many unwanted apps on your device, or your phone has less storage capacity.
This is more common in devices with a storage capacity between 16 and 32 GB.
Fix: Remove Unwanted Apps
Delete all unwanted applications on your device.
You can do that from the apps section and even from the settings.
To delete from the settings, follow these steps:
- On your phone, go to Settings.
- Go to Apps.
- Select the Downloaded apps option.
- Simply uninstall the ones that are not useful.
- Restart your phone.
8. YouTube Itself Is The Problem
Malfunctions and glitches occur on the YouTube platform from time to time, causing issues with streaming.
Fix: Try Refreshing, Reinstalling, Or Updating The App
- App’s help center: Wait a few seconds and then hit play on the video to see if it really did pause. Check YouTube’s Help Facility’s specific vulnerability page to learn more about any contemporary affairs the YouTube experts are working on.
- Update: It is important to update your applications time and again. Updating software is an unavoidable part of owning technology. Many problems may be building up due to bugs in an application. That is why updating your apps is important to avoid any issues.
- Reinstalling: You should also try to delete and reinstall the app.
- Report: Reporting to YouTube about the issue you are facing could also fix this problem. YouTube cares about its users and will, for sure, act as quickly as it can to fix issues that the users are facing. Of course, these would pertain to the issues that are happening at their end.
9. App Is Being Overused Worldwide
YouTube may be giving you a challenging time because millions are using it at the same time.
The application may be overused, or you may be using it at the prime time of the day, and that is why it is repeatedly stopping.
Fix: Try Again Later
If the app is overburdened, the only thing you can do is wait.
Try to take a break and set some other time for entertainment.
You can also try refreshing it a few times to see if it has started working normally.
10. Try Another Browser
It may be possible that your browser is causing issues with your YouTube videos.
The browser may be hacked or has certain restrictions set in place.
Fix: Try Another Browser
Try using YouTube in a different browser or use a private mode.
If the problem stays, the browser may or may not be the issue.
In this case, try upgrading or rebooting the browser to see if that solves the problem.
11. A Browser Extension May Be Faulty
Your YouTube videos are pausing because you might have downloaded extensions on your browser for various tasks.
Sometimes those extensions block certain websites without you knowing.
Fix: Remove All Extensions
You need to remove all the extensions downloaded on your laptop that might be blocking your websites.
If you do not want to remove them, you should disable those extensions.
Disabling will prevent them from controlling your browsers.
12. Computer’s Antivirus Could Be Causing The Pause
Third-party applications or plugins may cause problems when you are streaming on YouTube.
If YouTube is flagged as a dangerous website or application by your antivirus program or another application, it may block you from accessing content on that website or app.
Fix: Turn Off The Antivirus
Switch off any software that could interfere with your YouTube experience, particularly your antivirus application.
The antivirus software is indeed crucial for keeping your device virus-free, but you can disable it for some time while you are watching the videos and re-enable once done.
13. Hardware Acceleration Issue
The issue with YouTube halting could be mainly solved by activating hardware acceleration in the new machine and switching it off in the old ones.
Activating hardware acceleration on an older computer may cause it to run slowly, particularly some of the programs, such as YouTube.
If you have a high-performance machine, on the other extreme, you should activate hardware acceleration to assist programs like YouTube to function successfully.
Fix: Enabling Hardware Acceleration
You can enable hardware acceleration through the following steps:
- Open the control panel on your computer.
- Go to Display.
- On the left-hand side, you will see Change display settings.
- Search for Advanced Display Settings.
- Click Troubleshoot and then change settings.
- You will see a hardware acceleration section. Enable and disable it by clicking the toggle button.
- Once done, restart your computer.
Following these steps should solve the issue for you.
14. YouTube’s Server Problem
Although this doesn’t often happen, sometimes the YouTube server could be a reason why your app is halting.
Sometimes, the servers don’t work as they should for certain areas due to outages or other reasons.
This can cause buffering issues and also result in applications crashes.
Fix: Refresh Or Reset
Refreshing the application could make the app work.
Simply click on the refresh button if you are on your desktop.
If you are on your phone, try closing the app completely and reopening it.
Another fix could be resetting your connection.
If you are seeing a server down error on your screen, this could be an indication that the server is down, but it could also be due to a faulty internet connection.
The technique for resetting Broadband connections differs by the operator, but rebooting the router from which you are accessing the Internet should suffice.
Try viewing the YouTube website after you have restarted the router to see if it now functions.
15. An Unknown Issue Is Causing The Problem
If you have tried all of the fixes above and nothing seems to work, there is nothing you can do really.
One way to continue enjoying your show is to download the YouTube videos.
Fix: Download YouTube Videos
Start by going to YouTube, copying the link, and saving the video to your computer.
You can save YouTube videos using a variety of different software, but using third-party software can cause you to download faulty videos or those you are unable to watch.
Therefore, it’s best to download the videos on YouTube without using any software.
YouTube also has a unique feature that allows downloading videos.
You can download the videos on YouTube by following these steps:
For Downloading On The Phone:
- Open the YouTube app on your mobile phone.
- Make sure you are logged in with your Google account.
- Simply search for the videos you want to be downloaded or need to watch.
- Click on the three-dot menu right beneath the video.
- Click Download. The downloading process will start.
- If you wish to modify the downloading resolution, go to Options and Downloaded videos under the profile icon. Select a download quality option from the drop-down menu.
For Downloading On Computers:
- Open www.youtube.com on your browser.
- For better performance, make sure that you are using the updated version of the browser.
- Search and open the video you wish to download.
- Click on the three-dot menu below the video and select download.
- The downloaded video will be available in the downloads section of the browser.
Downloaded videos run quite smoothly as there are no buffering or internet issues to face.
This will fix the pausing issue and you can watch your favorite videos without any interruption.
Millions of users use YouTube all over the world to stream videos.
If a video keeps pausing, it can be quite stressful and frustrating.
We have listed the 15 most common issues along with their solutions.
Make sure your internet speed is good and your device is not faulty.
Also, try removing any external apps or plug-ins that could be interfering with your browsing.