From being a mail-in service for DVDs to becoming one of the prominent names in the streaming world, Netflix has come a long way.
It holds uncountable shows and movies for its users to stream and watch.
One of the best features that Netflix has incorporated for its users is the download feature.
This feature allows the users to download shows and movies on their phones and later enjoy them without needing an Internet connection.
How long do these downloads last after you have downloaded your shows and movies?
How Long Do Netflix Downloads Last?
Once you download any show or series from Netflix, you have access to its offline version (downloaded version) for seven days.
However, as soon as you start to watch the downloaded content, the period immediately decreases from seven days to only two days.
This means that the content will be deleted within a time frame of 48 hours, so you have a short period to watch it out.
However, if you don’t play an episode, you have seven days to watch it before it auto-deletes.
Why Do Netflix Downloads Delete After Some Time?
Netflix content can’t be downloaded and stored forever.
You can enjoy the offline version for a limited time.
The content creators decide the limit, not Netflix.
However, two major factors impact the downloading period.
1. Expiration Date
If the downloaded series or content gets deleted from Netflix, your download also no longer remains available, no matter where you stored it.
Do check when your downloaded movie or show is leaving Netflix.
2. Title Availability
On Netflix, both the original movies as well as the licensed ones are available.
Therefore, not all titles can be downloaded.
Only the ones that creators allow to download can be downloaded for a short period of seven days.
How Do I Know When the Movie Or Show Will Be Auto-Deleted?
Whenever you download a series or any content from Netflix, the expiry date is indicated either on the side or in the detail section.
Mostly, when less than 48 hours are left, it starts to appear just below the title of the show.
Check out the exact expiration date of your downloaded show from the “Downloads” page, and watch it before it is deleted.
Where Are Netflix Downloads Stored?
The Netflix downloads are usually stored in your mobile, tablet, or PC’s download section.
However, you can change and save it to any preferred location by selecting that location while downloading.
If you have an Android phone, you can save it on the SD card too.
To set the storage location, go to the app settings, select Downloads, and choose the location you aim to save at.
Can You Extend The Netflix Downloads?
No, you cannot extend the Netflix downloads.
They only last for seven days once you start watching.
There is no such policy on Netflix.
However, you can re-download it, if you want to, or stream it online.
How To Download Shows On Netflix
Netflix shows can’t be downloaded on devices with older OS versions.
You should have the updated Netflix version on any of the following devices:
- Chromebox or Chromebook models
- Amazon Tablet OS 4.0 version
- Windows 10 or a new version
- iPhone or iPad with iOS 9.0 or new ones
- Android Phones with Android 4.4.2 or later versions
Once you have one of these devices, follow the given steps to download it:
- Download the Netflix app on your mobile phone or laptop.
- Open the downloaded app and search for the desired show in the search engine bar of Netflix.
- Tap on the show, and see if it is available for download or not. If a download icon appears, it means the content can be downloaded.
- Tap on the download icon, and the episode or the movie will start to download.
How To Re-Download Shows And Movies On Netflix Once It Expires
Once the shows or movies get deleted, you can re-download them.
Here are the easy steps to re-download shows from Netflix.
1. Windows User
If you are a Windows 10 user, you have the easiest way to renew the expired show.
- Open the downloaded Netflix app on your device, and go to the Menu.
- Tap on the option My Downloads.
- You will see an alert symbol present next to the episodes or movies that have been deleted.
- Click the Alert button and press Renew Download, and the downloading will automatically start.
2. Apple User
If you are an Apple user, look no further as here as the straightforward steps you need to follow to renew any movie or series.
- Tap on Settings, and turn on Set Time and Date Automatically.
- Move to the home screen and open the Netflix App.
- Select Downloads, and press the edit button on the top right corner.
- A cross sign will appear on the title you want to remove. Sign in, and the desired show will be removed from Downloads.
- Search for the title again in the search engine bar, and download it.
3. Android Users
If using an android tablet or phone, opt for the given steps:
- Open the app and go to downloads.
- In the upper right corner, click the edit button.
- Check ✔ all the titles you want to delete.
- Tap Delete and download the series once again.
Can I Re-Download A Show on Netflix Multiple Times?
Whether you can download a show once only or multiple times depends on the creators of the show.
If you encounter a popup message on re-downloading that says, “You can download this title only one time,” it means that you can’t get access to its offline mode again.
However, if you don’t see any such message, you can download it again.
Some of the shows on Netflix are restricted to being downloaded only once a year, and once you surpass that limit, you will not have access to the downloaded version again.
This kind of restriction is because of the negotiations made with the owners of the title during the agreement and while uploading the content on the Netflix platform.
However, the online version remains on Netflix until its expiry date is reached.
Just have access to a strong Internet connection, and stream the title online.
Why Was My Download Deleted Before Time?
Some users report that their downloaded shows are deleted beforehand (in less than seven days).
If that happens, the show has been deleted from the database of Netflix.
When a particular show is deleted from Netflix, it is removed from the downloads, too.
Therefore, it is better to look at the expiry of the show from Netflix when downloading it so that you can finish it up before the show wipes off from Netflix.
Why Are All The Titles Not Available For Downloading On Netflix?
Although Netflix has introduced the feature of downloading titles and viewing them in offline mode, not all of them are available for download.
Here is why:
- The series is not original content of Netflix, and the original content creators have not granted the right to make it available for download.
- The content rights of that title are currently exclusive or given to another company.
- Other factors like popularity, cost, availability, etc., have a major impact.
- Sometimes the original content of Netflix is also not downloadable. It is made in partnership with some other studios that control the intellectual rights and properties associated with that content. Chances are that the studio doesn’t offer the download feature.
Can You Download Unlimited Shows On Netflix?
No, you cannot download an unlimited number of titles on Netflix.
Most users download content rather than live stream to save their data.
Unfortunately, in 2016, the features of Download Restriction were launched by Netflix, which restricted the number of downloads and cut it down from unlimited to only 100.
Yes, the exact number of titles or series that you can download on Netflix is 100 per device.
If you try to download more, a popup message, “You have crossed the download limit of Netflix,” will appear.
How To Remove The Download Restriction On Netflix
A lot of people find themselves in a blind spot where they can’t download shows and titles on Netflix.
In that case, they should try to delete some of the older downloads present in their application.
If you have downloaded 100 titles, you won’t have space for even one more title.
To download more, you simply need to remove titles and free up the space.
As soon as you delete some titles, the download restriction also ends, leaving you ample space to download a new one.
If you want to delete all downloads at once, consider following the stated steps one by one:
- Open the Netflix app, and select the profile icon.
- Tap the Account Settings option and click on Downloads.
- You will be redirected to the section containing the list of titles you have downloaded.
- Select the option Delete All Downloads and wait.
- All the titles will be deleted, and you can now proceed to download the content you want to.
How Do Netflix Smart Downloads Help In Keeping Space Free For More Downloads?
Now that you know the nitty-gritty details of how long a download lasts on Netflix, let’s uncover one of the perks of the download feature.
If you are an Android user, you have an additional perk to enjoy.
Netflix comes with a “Netflix Smart Download” that speeds up your downloading by automating the process.
Here are the details:
1. Automatic Download And Delete
It automatically deletes the episode you have watched and also downloads the next episode beforehand.
For example, if you are watching episode 19 of The Witcher, all the previous episodes up to episode 18 will be deleted, and episode 20 will be downloaded to speed up the process and free up space.
2. Automatic Prediction
Netflix uses the analysis and cookies to predict the shows you will most likely watch and downloads them based on your watched history.
Why Can’t I Download Shows On Netflix? (Common Errors)
You never know if you are about to reach the download limit on Netflix.
However, here are some of the common errors faced by users when downloading shows on Netflix.
1. Loading On Too Many Devices (Error Code 10016-23000)
One problem that users face when downloading is that they aren’t able to download on multiple devices, and an error message pops up indicating that they have logged in to maximum devices.
If you are facing a similar situation, you can either remove downloads from other devices or update to a better subscription plan, offering downloads to different devices.
n the basic plan, you can download content on one device, two devices in the standard plan, and four devices in the premium plan.
To remove old devices, follow the below steps:
- Open the Netflix website.
- Sign in to your Netflix account.
- Tap on the Profile icon, and click on Settings.
- The option Manage devices to Boot will appear. Click it, and remove the devices you want to.
2. You Have Passed the Annual Download Limit (Error Code 10016-22001)
As we discussed earlier, the number of times you can re-download a title depends on the license limit decided by the movie’s producer or owner.
If you have passed that limit, this error code will appear, restricting you from downloading it again.
How Many Times Can I Watch Downloaded Content On Netflix?
You can watch the title unlimited times as long as it is downloaded and available in the Netflix library.
For example, if you download a series today, for the next seven days, you can watch it again and again as many times as you want.
However, if you have opted for a smart download, the episodes will delete soon after you finish.
This means you can watch them only one time.
Best Third-Party Netflix Video Downloaders To Opt For
If you want to see the downloaded shows even after your time expires, you can use third-party apps or software to continue watching the shows.
If you want to download the videos on your computer or laptop, one of the magic tools is Flixicam, a professional downloader for Netflix.
Flixicam allows you to download videos from Netflix at high speed and top-notch quality.
Some other famous video downloaders are as follows:
Netflix is undoubtedly one of the top-notch streaming platforms with a huge library of movies and shows.
The platform also has an easy-to-navigate interface.
One feature the platform offers is the download feature with which you can download shows to view them offline.
The downloads on Netflix last for seven days, and as soon as you play an episode or movie, it remains available in offline mode for only 48 hours.
However, you can re-download most of the titles if your download has expired.
If renewing is not an option due to some legal restrictions, you can stream it and enjoy it online.
The download feature is only accessible in the app and not the web-based version of Netflix.
Leave a Reply